Teaching dancing is a rewarding and enjoyable career for those who are passionate about dancing, as well as teaching.
To be a good teacher it is also essential that you enjoy passing on your knowledge to others, and get on well with all walks of life from small children to adults. Some dancers are great dancers but don’t enjoy or don’t have the patience to teach. Others may not be the best dancers, but make wonderful teachers. The important thing is to have the ability to pass on your knowledge in an easy to understand manner.
It is not all roses, and like anything, teaching dancing has it’s pros and cons. Here I have listed a couple of them.
1. You get to choose your own working hours, and also how long you want to work for each day. This is ideal for those who have young families to look after.
2. You get to dictate your own fees and control your own earnings.
3. You get to do something that you love each and every day.
4. It is rewarding to see your pupils achieve and improve over time.
5. It is a very creative career choice and you get to explore new horizons each day.
6. You get more leave than most people, as you normally take leave when the schools close.
1. Dancing is a luxury, so when times are bad, this is the first thing that people will cut back on.
2. Most dancing teachers can only teach in the afternoon, due to children being at school in the mornings, so in this way you may need to work quite late to fit all the classes in.
3. It requires quite a lot of energy to teach, so you can’t afford to be sick or have a bad day.
4. You lay yourself wide open to criticism from parents and public, and so you have to be quite tough.
5. You need to have good business management skills, or the admin work will get you down.
6. You also need to be super organised and stay on top of things at all times.
So as you can see, the teaching profession like any other has it’s good and bad points. I love my career choice, and so try to stay focused on only the good. In any profession, you should absolutely love what you do and have a passion for it, or find something that does make you exited to get out of bed each day.
For more on dancing, visit: http://balletdancing4u.blogspot.com